Tuition for the online Master of Science in Data Science and Graduate Certificate in Data Science is a flat fee of $850 per credit whether you live in Wisconsin or out of state. All courses are three credits. *Note: tuition is increasing to $875 per credit as of the Fall 2022 semester.
There are no additional course or program fees, however, textbooks are purchased separately and are not included in tuition. As this is an online program, you will not pay segregated fees—fees in addition to tuition that cover the costs of student-organized activities, facility maintenance, and operations. Also you will not be charged a technology fee as part of this program. If software or special technology is required in one of your courses it will be provided to you and is included in your tuition.
Financial aid may be available to you as a returning adult student, and is awarded by your home campus (see below for an explanation of “home” campus).
Contact your home campus financial aid office for details:
- UW-Eau Claire Financial Aid
- UW-Green Bay Financial Aid
- UW-La Crosse Financial Aid
- UW-Oshkosh Financial Aid
- UW-Stevens Point Financial Aid
- UW-Superior Financial Aid
Please check with your home campus regarding minimum credits required to qualify for financial aid as a full- or part-time student.
To apply for federal and state financial aid, fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Even if you haven’t made a final decision about whether or not you will apply for this program, you may want to consider completing a FAFSA. Completing this form is always the first step when applying for federal or state financial aid.
Other Sources of Financial Aid
As a returning adult student, you may also consider these resources to help with the cost of an online degree:
- Loans are typically offered at low interest rates. Loans must be repaid, usually once you’ve left school.
- Tuition reimbursement is offered by many companies to their employees. Check with your human resources department to see what’s available.
- Military benefits are available to qualifying veterans and those currently serving.
- Private loans are available in addition to federal grants and loans. Private loans must be repaid.
- Scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement or other criteria; financial need is sometimes taken into account. Scholarships don’t need to be repaid.
- Grants are awarded based on financial need, and you don’t need to repay them.
- Education tax benefits may be available. Talk with your financial adviser about possible tax benefits.
Benefits are available to qualifying veterans and those currently serving. Contact your home campus for details.
- UW-Eau Claire Veteran Benefits
- UW-Green Bay Veteran Benefits
- UW-La Crosse Veteran Benefits
- UW-Oshkosh Veteran Benefits
- UW-Stevens Point Veteran Benefits
- UW-Superior Veteran Benefits
What is a “Home” Campus?
The University of Wisconsin Master of Science in Data Science is offered as a collaboration of University of Wisconsin Extended Campus and six University of Wisconsin degree-granting institutions: UW-Eau Claire, UW-Green Bay, UW-La Crosse, UW-Oshkosh, UW-Stevens Point, and UW-Superior. Although UW Master of Science in Data Science students take courses taught by faculty from all six partner campuses and complete their programs entirely online, you will still need to apply to a home campus. Your home campus is the institution from which you will receive your degree when you graduate.
Questions about tuition or financial aid?
Enrollment advisers are available Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CT.